Search This Blog

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Labor Day '11

My wife's family has come to visit this weekend, so, we have a house full of kids.
Having all the kids around makes me feel young again.  It also makes me appreciate the simple things in life like playing baseball in the yard, home made gifts that may not be that valuable monetarily, but are invaluable sentimentally, and swimming.

Traditionally, Labor Day marks the end of summer, and as a kid I used to dread going back to school, but this year I am glad to returning to the classroom at Richland College.  You see I am an adjunct faculty member there this year.  I teach intro to theatre and acting I.

Just a reminder don't wear white after this weekend.  I don't know where that rule comes from, but it seems to be important.

Back to the family and this weekend...
I had the opportunity to teach my 4 year old nephew how to bat this morning.  We played a lot of baseball today, and during one of our games I was coaching him on his hitting and said, "keep your eye on the ball."  To which he replied, "I always keep it on my eyeball."  I had no response to that.  Here he is in action.

Our niece will celebrate her 7th birthday soon, so, my wife gave her her birthday present in a bag she made out of capri sun pouches.  I know, you are probably thinking, "what in the world would a bag made out of capri sun pouches look like."  Well, you're in luck, I have a photo.
It is a neat little purse for her to carry her squinky's in.  Those are the presents that you really want to hold on to.

Towards the end of the day we went swimming at the hotel where the in-laws are staying.  This brought back a flood of memories.  dunking each other in the pool, throwing one another in the pool, and of course relaxing in the hot tub.  As we were swimming the girls ask me and papa to throw them in the air and let them land in the water.  So, we did.
Of course, me, papa, and the girls loved it.  Mom however, did not.  "That is too high."  She would insist, as the other girls would beg, "throw me, throw me."  So, papa and I found ourselves in an interesting catch 22.  To throw, or not to throw, that is the question.  Of course, we threw.  It was just too much fun.  The weekend is off to a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment